These cottage style almshouses were built in 1725. Originally there were just 4 cottages. They were founded by John Smith, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer in Scotland. He was born in Frolesworth in 1656. Five more cottages, at right angles to the left and right side of the original cottages, were added in 1761. More were added in 1796 and 1834.
The almshouses are governed by the Trustees of Baron Smith’s Charity. There are sixteen cottages in all now, one of which is lived in by the Warden. To apply for residence in an almshouse in The Square in Frolesworth, please contact: Mrs Sue Tallis Tel:01455 209151 email: email@example.com